[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 15 21:31:22 UTC 2023

#55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt
Text
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  eatingrules              |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by joedolson):

 @oglekler I'm not sure in what sense you mean "would be invisible to user
 who is uploading it" - the alt text would be visible exactly like any
 other alt text would be visible.

 I'll also note that in the case where the author doesn't notice the alt
 text, then they were never going to have appropriate alt text in the first
 place - they were going to have no alt text. So it's somewhat a wash
 there; just a different default.

 @carolinescribely This has been pushed back largely because there's no
 consensus on what to do and PHP doesn't have good support for extracting
 the data in the first place, so it's fairly labor intensive to make this
 happen.

 There is a larger question here which is about how WordPress is going to
 handle alt text. Historically, WordPress has only stored a single
 canonical alt text, and that leads to a number of problems in usage.
 However, due to the many different ways of using this data, it's difficult
 to make significant changes to how it's stored. I've had a number of
 conversations about that with other contributors, but we don't have a
 clear path yet.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55535#comment:40>