[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57450: Accessibility: WCAG violation by using "Fullscreen mode" as default in post editor

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 12 10:55:22 UTC 2023

#57450: Accessibility: WCAG violation by using "Fullscreen mode" as default in post
editor
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  burnuser           |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor             |    Version:  6.1.1
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, accessibility  |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 After login, a new WordPress user is confronted with consistent
 administration screens:
 A) Toolbar at the top of the screen
 B) Main Navigation menu at the left side of the screen

 Making basic administrative adjustments works all in this - everywhere the
 same - environment.

 But after adding a new post or page, the common options of toolbar and
 Main Navigation are gone!
 Panic!
 Don't know how to get out of this damn post editor!
 Or even Log out from WordPress!
 Panic! Confusion! Frustration!

 That's an really awful first (and for some users also last) experience for
 starting with WordPress!
 (And - as an experienced WordPress trainer - I'm stating this as a many
 times proven fact!)
 Never ever should a user interface lock anybody in a regular editor screen
 without common/obvious way out!
 (And no, clicking on the WordPress Icon to get out there has - in my
 entire experience as trainer - never been discovered by a trainee without
 separate explanation!)

 I know, the decision to set "Fullscreen mode" as default in post editor is
 not new, but it is never to late, to make something better!

 By the way:
 1.) "Collapse menu" in the sidebar gives many space => No need for
 "Fullscreen mode" anyway!
 2.) The missing Toobar at the top in "Fullscreen mode" breaks also the
 workflow of viewing and adding post - or jumping to administrative
 functions - with one click!

 And if terrible usability and user-experience is not enough to revert this
 (non working) change, maybe compliance with the law - like mandatory WCAG
 in Europe - is a sufficient incentive.

 Because this unnecessary change in user-interface is a direct violation of
 the "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines"
 => "Make Web pages appear and operate in predictable ways"
 https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#consistent-navigation

 Which also makes clear, that a change to "Fullscreen mode" by the user (=
 own decision) is OK.