[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57707: Issue with "Add New Application Password" in profile page leading to empty error message

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 14 08:19:01 UTC 2023

#57707: Issue with "Add New Application Password" in profile page leading to empty
error message
-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  king-a-s           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by king-a-s):

 Replying to [comment:2 peterwilsoncc]:
 > Hi @king-a-s and welcome to trac!
 >
 > That the REST API is relative to the site address is the correct
 behavior. The `/wp-json/*` endpoints are rewritten based on the site
 address.

 > I've attempted to reproduce the issue in an install with a different
 site and WordPress url and am unable to do so. The application passwords
 are created as expected.

 > Are you able to reproduce the issue on a new WordPress install running a
 default theme (such as Twenty Twenty Three) and no plugins?

 > Thanks

 Dear @peterwilsoncc

 Thank you for your response, however, the issue still exists. It maybe
 because I am not using both options correctly as intended.

 I expect the REST API must follow the WordPress URL, which should be the
 correct behavior.

 From what I understand, I have a website: https://mysitename.com which I
 have designated as the Site Address (URL). And I have WordPress installed
 at https://mysitename.com/wp which I have designated as the WordPress
 Address (URL).

 For example, I either:

 Use WordPress only as a blog for a website.
 or
 Use WordPress as a headless CMS and connect it to main website.

 So when I enter the dashboard, it will be at https://mysitename.com/wp/wp-
 admin and the REST API will be at https://mysitename.com/wp/wp-json. And
 the website link will be displayed to users at https://mysitename.com,
 which I believe is the correct link.

 However, in the case I am facing, the application-passwords are going to
 https://mysitename.com/wp-json instead of https://mysitename.com/wp/wp-
 json.

 I apologize for the lengthy explanation but to get my point across.

 Thank you.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57707#comment:3>