[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57616: As a website editor I want to find out which media asset (image, video, etc) is used on which pages / posts

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 2 21:50:34 UTC 2023

#57616: As a website editor I want to find out which media asset (image, video,
etc) is used on which pages / posts
-------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request                |      Status:  new

Comment (by abitofmind):

 **Thanks for your assessment that:**
 - "Use count" is probably possible in Core.
 - "Used in these slug(s)" is rather 3rd party plugin territory.
   - Is there an established market/place in the WordPress sphere where to
 put "plugin idea for adoption"
   - as in: "Offering: Detailed concept for plugin for free. Looking for:
 Volunteer/paid/partnering plugin developer" ?

 **Regarding UI nightmare and performance:**
 - As a UX designer I would agily collaborate the developer to find a
 feasible solution.
 - A compromise between usability and performance.
 - In my mockup the first result line shows a "6 more >" link which would
 only expand on click and only then load (via AJAX).
 - And many more adaptions, that's my daily job
 - And in later plugin versions: Further tools to not only analyze problems
 but also fix them (individually or in batch)

 **But first: MVP — Wanna give it a scope and a try?
 - Media Library List View: "Use Count" column
 - Media Detail Page: "Use Count" + "Used in these slugs" then the reverse
 query is a lesser performance problem, only happens for this media object.
 - What do you say?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57616#comment:2>