[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59040: Usage of new filter `image_edit_thumbnails_separately` in image editing logic breaks backward compatibility

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 10 20:04:28 UTC 2023

#59040: Usage of new filter `image_edit_thumbnails_separately` in image editing
logic breaks backward compatibility
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by azaozz):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 Uhh, I wish we could have found this sooner...

 > Unfortunately, [55935] is technically a breaking change

 Not sure what exactly is broken there, but you're right probably could
 have made it work.
 Looking at https://github.com/WordPress/performance/pull/796/files#diff-
 1aa4f22388bb7b78b82086cd9baaa60f9a240bb72d4b5a4e9d9bb49fa71c5991, seems it
 is mostly a copy from the core code? That's fine, however such copies
 would need to be maintained when the core code changes.

 > Maybe that's intended

 Yes both hiding the UI and disabling the specific image editing
 functionality was intended. The reason is that it produces "not-best-
 practices" results.

 > I'm not sure it's worth a fix...

 > I'm not sure (50/50) on whether we should make a change to only hide the
 UI...

 Not sure either. But seems it can be broken in very specific cases only
 (copied core code?), and since the intend was to disable the behavior
 thinking it may be best to leave it as-is for now.

 Closing as wontfix. Please feel free to reopen with examples of other
 places where this change introduces errors.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59040#comment:2>