[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51088: Site Health Status widget displays incorrect or inconsistent number of issues

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 21 01:11:15 UTC 2020

#51088: Site Health Status widget displays incorrect or inconsistent number of
issues
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Ate Up With Motor  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |     Status:  new
Component:  Site Health        |    Version:  5.5
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 I have observed that the Site Health Status widget on the admin dashboard
 sometimes displays an incorrect or inconsistent number of issues.

 When I log into the dashboard (on several different WordPress sites), the
 Site Health Status widget will often say "Take a look at the ''n'' items
 on the Site Health screen" where ''n'' is typically 5 or even 6. When I
 click on the Site Health screen and give it a moment or two to run, the
 number of issues shown is usually no more than 1 or 2 (generally trivial
 things, like not having a default theme). Once I've visited the Site
 Health screen and given it time to load, the dashboard widget will
 generally update to display that same number. However, if I don't, the
 widget will continue to display the incorrect total.

 My very tentative theory is that this might be a processing speed issue.
 My sites use shared hosting, so they can be laggy. I wonder if perhaps
 areason for this behavior could be that certain Site Health tests are not
 completing within a specified interval and that is causing the widget to
 list those tests as failed rather than incomplete. However, I don't know
 enough about how the Site Health processes work to judge how likely that
 may be.