[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47987: REST API: Add handling of PHP fatal errors while resizing images after upload

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 27 18:41:46 UTC 2019

#47987: REST API: Add handling of PHP fatal errors while resizing images after
upload
-----------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz           |       Owner:  TimothyBlynJacobs
     Type:  task (blessed)   |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:17 TimothyBlynJacobs]:
 > I agree they are post processing, but then we still need the data from
 the request object to make that happen. Or am I misunderstanding the
 distinction.

 I see what you mean. Yes it needs the data, but this "post meta" should
 probably be saved as soon as the attachment post has been created, if it
 exists at all at the time.

 Generally outside the API, upload requests do not contain any of that post
 meta. They only contain a file in the `$_FILES` array. I'm not sure how
 this is supposed to be handled through the API or by the client, and why
 there may be other data together with the file.

 As far as I see all uploads are started by the user dropping a file in the
 browser window or selecting a file from the OS dialog. In these cases no
 additional data is sent together with the upload. Not sure where that data
 is supposed to come from..?

 Then, after the upload is complete, all the additional post meta is saved
 with another request, when the user actually adds it.

 But that's a question we can look at later...

 > Cool, I'm on a plane for the rest of the day. Will hopefully have a
 patch for review this Saturday.

 Great! Thanks :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47987#comment:18>