[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings => Media

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 25 17:40:00 UTC 2018

#44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings =>
Media
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by joyously):

 > What happens with the images and the posts that were published during
 all these changes? And what happens when the user switches themes? They
 are stuck with some non-standard images in their older posts...

 Nothing new. This has ever been the situation. At least my theme uses what
 the user has already chosen instead of introducing a new set of image
 sizes.

 > Right. It is optional, but is also a "best practice". Of course themes
 can decide to mangle it or drop it, but they will be "doing-it-wrong".

 It's not necessarily "wrong" if it gives the user what he wanted.

 > Could you give some examples where images will not benefit from having
 `srcset`

 I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought here. It's almost as if
 you are thinking that the Media size options are only used for `srcset`
 and therefore we should get rid of them. I'm saying that they could be
 used for other things that you don't know about, and it does not hurt
 anything to leave them alone.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44441#comment:9>