[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings => Media

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 25 10:40:01 UTC 2018

#44441: Remove the settings for "medium" and "large" image sizes from Settings =>
Media
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:7 joyously]:
 > They let the user choose what size the medium and large is. And then
 themes like mine use those numbers to set the content_width, which drives
 the rest of the `srcset` calculations.

 Hmm, not sure it is such a good idea to base the theme's `content_width`
 on the image width. But then it is even worse if the user changes these
 image sizes. User case:
 - The user installs a theme what gets the width from the image width.
 - The user changes the image width to suit their taste, lets say 600px.
 - In two weeks the user changes their mind and sets the width to 1000px.
 - In another two weeks they change it again to 500px.

 What happens with the images and the posts that were published during all
 these changes? And what happens when the user switches themes? They are
 stuck with some non-standard images in their older posts...

 I mean, as long as there are settings, the users can keep changing them,
 randomly. How do you support that? :)

 > > When using `srcset` the image size that is selected by the user does
 not matter.

 > Ah, but that is only if nothing is filtering out the `srcset`. It is
 optional, you know.

 Right. It is optional, but is also a "best practice". Of course themes can
 decide to mangle it or drop it, but they will be "doing-it-wrong".

 > ...there are lots of other places where those sizes can be used, and the
 user should still be able to set them, as they can now.

 Could you give some examples where images will not benefit from having
 `srcset` (i.e. are not used on the front-end or in a web browser), and the
 usage would benefit of having a particular default WordPress size changed?
 I mean, if a plugin or a theme is adding some specific use of images, like
 some of the default themes, it should probably add a custom image size for
 that specific purpose?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44441#comment:8>