[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka "dummy content")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 21 03:59:27 UTC 2016

#38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka
"dummy content")
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by poena):

 Currently, the theme review team does not allow large amounts of demo
 content. There are several reasons for this, including:
 Theme authors using demo content that cannot be disabled: only removed by
 replacing the existing content.
 Theme authors using demo content for advertising.
 In these cases the user would have to "clean up" the theme before using
 it.
 We encourage authors to use default content. For example if you have a
 slider that displays existing posts, then the default should be to display
 existing posts, and not static demo data.

 -Some theme authors save their demo content as defaults in customizer
 settings.
 Others add their demo content directly in the different templates, and
 show this content unless another option has been selected.
 -We don't see a lot of theme authors asking the user to import demo
 content in the form of xml files, but it happens.

 What kind of dummy content are we considering here? Populating widget
 areas? Dummy content with multiple posts or pages to showcase navigation
 and post formats?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38114#comment:2>