[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka "dummy content")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 26 14:03:47 UTC 2016

#38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka
"dummy content")
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by greenshady):

 > What does the current default and fallback content landscape look like?

 The current landscape makes me die a little inside. The biggest problem
 I've seen via the TRT is that "dummy" content displays on the front end of
 the user's site.  A theme should never be live on a user's site with dummy
 content because a site's visitors should see that site's content.

 > What do themes and plugins currently do around preview or default
 content?

 Theme authors advertise how great their theme is or to upsell you on how
 great the pro version is.

 Good theme authors will make their theme flexible enough to handle what to
 do when no content should be shown while defaulting to the user's existing
 content if possible.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38114#comment:4>