[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 9 17:34:43 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing needs-   |  javascript
  user-testing                       |

Comment (by afercia):

 Tested a bit, haven't looked in depth at the code though. Here's some
 notes, I'm pretty sure many of these things are already known :)

 1. initial focus: seems it doesn't work the second time the panel opens,
 to reproduce: use the keyboard, press "Change", the panel slides in,
 initial focus is on the "Customize" button, press Enter, panel slides out,
 press again Enter on the "Change" button
 2. it's not so clear the button "Customize" actually means "Go back"
 3. consider to add a "Go back" button at the end of the themes list
 4. clicking on the search field makes all themes disappear (see following
 issue): I guess this is intentional but doesn't feel right to me
 5. search doesn't work consistently when using only the keyboard, works
 correctly only when first clicking on the search field
 6. not sure about how search is debounced (I may be wrong)
 7. debounce delay should be 500 to be consistent with other similar search
 implementations
 8. search field events should be standardised to `input` and `keyup`, see
 for example https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37233#comment:21
 9. the search placeholder has a space before the hellip, see also the
 hidden label
 10. consider to announce the search results (also when there are no
 results) via `wp.a11y.speak()`
 11. consider to announce errors via `wp.a11y.speak()`
 12. go to the  "Popular" tab and ensure it is showing some of your
 installed themes: clicking on an *installed* theme details gives error
 `Cannot read property 'delete' of undefined`
 13. browsing themes details doesn't show *installed themes* and gives
 error `Cannot read property 'delete' of undefined`
 14. in any section: press Escape > all themes disappear: would be more
 consistent to use Escape to go back
 15. open any theme details > press Escape > all themes disappear
 16. consider to move the Help at the beginning
 17. the help button "circular focus" is a bit bigger than usual
 18. keyboard navigation should be constrained within the full overlay
 19. the responsive view needs some love: see the theme name when too long,
 help button hidden by help panel, see screenshot below
 20. please don't hate me :)

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/w320IEbYxE.png)]]

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:27>