[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 9 01:05:36 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing needs-   |  javascript
  user-testing                       |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 I ran an informal in-person user test today. The user recently moved her
 personal site to WordPress and also uses WordPress in a role overseeing
 contributors and publishing some content herself at
 http://annenbergdl.org/. Her background is in communication and design.
 Her feedback was:
 - The way it works with unsaved changes is confusing. The notice at the
 top of the themes page isn't obvious, you want to scroll down and browse
 through the themes.
 - Maybe putting a notice under the change button [on the top level of the
 customizer] would help make it more obvious [we could do this only if it's
 a theme preview, not the active theme].
 - "Why would you install a theme without previewing it?"
 - "I would never use the favorites feature."
 - "Every time I look at the featured themes, there are no themes I'd want
 to use. It might be better if they were more curated or something."

 Aside: I also had her play with #34923 and she liked it, only concern was
 regarding editing posts after they're created.

 On the subject of favorites, in my testing I found very few users that I
 tried had any favorites set (including myself). I primarily checked
 members of the theme review team and core contributors, but I wonder if we
 can get some stats from .org on how many users have favorite themes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:24>