[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27403: Improve UI for linking areas of Customizer preview to corresponding controls (desktop and mobile)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 13 16:17:44 UTC 2016

#27403: Improve UI for linking areas of Customizer preview to corresponding
controls (desktop and mobile)
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by sirbrillig):

 > Btw clicking the customizer link in the top admin or in the backend
 opens up the environment for live editing and previewing. Where the user
 can see the live site and make changes seen in realtime. One expects to
 see the site as it is and then make the adjustments needed.

 Just brainstorming, @paaljoachim, but what if immediately upon entering
 the Customizer the sidebar was collapsed, but we made the collapse/extend
 button big and bright (maybe even with an animation) so it's clear from
 the start how to hide/show the preview.

 > Uploaded some alternate button ideas, drawing from core button styles.

 @melchoyce: thanks! I like the square gray ones a lot, but partly that may
 be because they match the gray background in that theme. I guess the
 advantage of bright icons is that they are more easily visible with
 different backgrounds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 > I would love to see an API put in place before this hits core to make it
 easy to extend and add custom markers, override links or add custom icons
 etc.

 I really like this idea, @eherman24! Do you have anything in mind for this
 API? For the icons themselves, we could store the svg in `wp.customize...`
 somewhere. For custom locations, this version varies from the plugin
 because while the plugin targets a specific list of elements, this version
 simply adds icons to selective refresh partials. So to add specific
 targets one would theoretically just need to add new partials. That said,
 maybe there are specific targets that would work differently. As it is
 right now it's possible to override `Partial.showIconForElement` or
 `Partial.showControl` to get a lot more options.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27403#comment:62>