[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 4 14:21:15 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |

Comment (by helen):

 Two things:

 1. We generally need to talk about theme findability - having a unified
 flow that includes theme selection is a good goal for core; however, if
 finding a theme still sucks then it doesn't matter nearly as much if we
 fix the core flow. So to that end, I would like to see conversations
 continue on the meta front and including the theme review team, and this
 is also why this is a lower priority for me in 4.7.

 2. If problems with this feature amounted to "here are buggy things to
 fix", that would be a different story. I and others have expressed that
 there is a general gut feeling of this not being a polished experience
 that we feel good shipping, and I don't accept "well other things are meh
 too" as justification. It feels *worse* to me the longer I use it, which
 is a huge red flag for me. Typically as a user you at least accept quirks,
 but given the frustrations in finding a theme and how many you might be
 cycling through, I do not want to ship an experience that is meh on first
 try and subsequently feels like more and more of a drag. These sorts of
 gut feelings are important especially en masse, and take longer to figure
 out than we have left for this development cycle.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:120>