[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 4 03:37:52 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:118 folletto]:
 > > a ticket listing exactly what you'd like to be able to query on and
 the combinations of those, and we can get the needed support in place.

 > Thank you! I don't know enough of the technical details about .org's API
 nor the conventions, so I can only speak from a more abstract point of
 view. I don't know if there's a ticket either.

 A ticket on https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ would be appreciated for any
 specific enhancements needed.

 >1. textual search and filters can happen at the same time (i.e. I should
 be able to type "wedding" and select Grid Layout + Latest + Sticky Post)

 The only limitation which comes from WordPress.org was that the "browse"
 (`popular`, `featured`, `latest` etc) parameter was exclusive, in that if
 you specify that none of the others applied. That's now changed, it can be
 used in conjunction with any others, but only affects the ordering of the
 results.
 For example, the Search field has been able to apply to filter tags and
 other views since at least the theme repo redesign in 2014, although core
 was never updated to do so.

 >2. switching any of the filters — "Installed" included — should preserve
 all the other settings
 That's a core / customizer thing.

 >3. it should be fast (sub-100ms) to allow dynamic search
 >4. Optional wish: there should be an extra API to provide relevant auto-
 complete guesses for text searches (fast too, even faster)

 Due to w.org platform limitations, it's not currently possible for us to
 really have "fast" queries, a query from a US location is 50-100ms
 depending on cached vs not, but more like 1,100ms from Australia (that's a
 real world example).
 For similar reasons, auto-complete isn't available.

 > Also: I would design the API to be identically implemented as a REST WP-
 API interface, so it would be available out of the box on all installs
 That's doable in core as well, it can then proxy requests ontowards W.org
 where needed. If you wanted to query api.wordpress.org directly from a JS
 client bypassing WordPress, that's also possible currently, the query
 format just
 [https://api.wordpress.org/themes/info/1.1/?action=query_themes&request%5Bbrowse%5D=latest&request%5Bsearch%5D=coffee%20shop&request%5Btag%5D
 =sticky-post,two-columns looks a little ugly], which could be improved.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:119>