[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak and maybe other keyboards

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 12 18:59:37 UTC 2016

#35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak
and maybe other keyboards
 Reporter:  thomask      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
  (bug)                  |   Milestone:
Changes (by azaozz):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => worksforme
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 We are using the proper modifier keys reserved for the browser. However
 these still can conflict with some rarely used keyboard layouts. Also,
 unfortunately the browsers do not distinguish between left and right
 modifier keys, so we cannot exclude "left alt" for example.

 On the other hand, we do not use `Alt + F` in the editor. The shortcut is
 `Ctrl + Alt + F`. So it seems the keyboard map doesn't work properly if it
 fails to interpret the Ctrl key. Maybe look for a better mapping file for
 your OS?

 In the meantime, this shortcut is added by the TinyMCE 'fullscreen'
 plugin. It can be removed with something like:
 {{{
 jQuery( document ).on( 'tinymce-editor-init', function( event, editor ) {
   editor.shortcuts.remove( 'meta+alt+f' );
 });
 }}}

 Closing as worksforme for now. If there are other shortcuts that match
 exactly the editor shortcuts, the only thing we could do is make the
 comments shortcuts option in the user profile global.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35932#comment:8>