[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak and maybe other keyboards

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 14 09:13:52 UTC 2016

#35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak
and maybe other keyboards
 Reporter:  thomask      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened
  (bug)                  |   Milestone:
Changes (by thomask):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  worksforme =>

Comment:

 I hate this "works for me" from north americans that cannot imagine there
 is a world behind the water. Please, keep in mind, that there are milions
 of wordpress users, that do not use english/us/canadian keyboard layouts
 (and english language)

 No, it does not work (even with today's nightly), no it is not bug of
 someones keyboard mapping etc.

 1. CTRL+ALT equals RIGHT ALT (at least on windows)
 2. RIGHT ALT + some characters are used in many languages, e.g. as i have
 described, Right alt + F is "[" in STANDARD windows layouts for slovak
 republic (http://ascii-table.com/img/keyboard-245.png) - 5 milion people,
 czech republic
 (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Keyboard_layout_Czech.svg
 /420px-Keyboard_layout_Czech.svg.png) - 10 milion people, Poland (http
 ://ascii-table.com/img/keyboard-214.png) - 39 milion people etc.

 extra plugins and hacks are fine, but they will not be sollution for many
 (i guess most users are not able to find/install proper plugins).

 I guess that there might be other isues for other ctrl+alt+something
 shortcuts in some languages so i believe, that it would be better to find
 out some more standard solution how to redefine them (imo best would be
 settings in POT file and option to turn them off in Options).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35932#comment:9>