[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36717: Allow to access network and site properties using the current naming conventions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 30 09:19:34 UTC 2016

#36717: Allow to access network and site properties using the current naming
conventions
--------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90            |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  closed

Comment (by westi):

 Replying to [comment:41 jeremyfelt]:
 > Replying to [comment:38 westi]:
 > > The changes in this ticket feel pretty unnecessary and fragile and
 likely to break a number of requests on any site using a caching backend
 because we are going to cache things the old code can't uncache.... in a
 nasty way - you end up with WP_Site instances that re-initialise out of
 the cache without a blog_id.

 > As of [37874], `get_blog_details()` should be in a position to repair
 itself if it encounters a `WP_Site` object without `blog_id`. Is that not
 working or part of what feels fragile?

 The most obviously fragile bit is this makes it hard to test the new code,
 in a multiserver environment where production runs the old code ... the
 newer objects get cached and break production.

 Which is going to bite anyone who runs a test upgrade of the new WP
 version on their (large) multisite install with object caching before
 deploying it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36717#comment:46>