[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29839: Enhance get_terms to return only bottom child terms (terms without children) when taxonomy is heirarchical

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Nov 16 15:44:57 UTC 2014

#29839: Enhance get_terms to return only bottom child terms (terms without
children) when taxonomy is heirarchical
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  theMikeD                            |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                         |      Status:  new
                                                |     Focuses:
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 > Personally I think returning all terms would lead to confusing results
 for users who accidentally run this option on a non-hierarchical taxonomy.

 Imagine a hierarchical taxonomy with 27 terms: A-Z (all top-level) and
 A_child (child of A). `get_terms()` with `childless=true` would return B-Z
 + A_child. Now imagine you deleted A_child. Expected behavior, IMO, would
 be to return A-Z, but on your suggestion it'd return nothing. I'm not too
 concerned with what happens to people using this argument on a non-
 hierarchical taxonomy, but even in that case, returning all items would be
 the semantically correct thing to do.

 >  I may even be able to remove the check altogether, but I'd have to test
 that first. The unit test would be to create a flat taxonomy and compare
 all with childless so it's easy enough to confirm.

 Yes, I think we should do this.

 Boolean typecast looks good.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29839#comment:36>