[wp-hackers] GSoC 2014: Form / Survey Plugin

Quincy Kwende quincykwende at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 20:23:06 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm a student looking forward to take part in GSoC 2014. I would love to
take part in the Form / Survey Plugin; "This project would focus on
creating a forms/surveys plugin based on the needs of the community
outreach team to support WordCamps and Meetups. "

I haven't been active in the WordPress development community before, but
I'm very interested to one day become a core contributor to the WordPress
project. As part of the requirements to take part in GSoC 2014, I have
written a WordPress Plugin called "Quote me".
Quote me displays a quote rotator and the admin is able to add, edit and
delete Quotes. When Quote me is install, the first time a visitor lands on
your site, she sees a Quote Rotator and she can choose to opt out. When the
visitor lands on the Quote, Quote me sets a session and the visitor won't
see the quote Rotator again until her session expires.  I got my
inspiration for Quote me from Forbes.com. When you visit Forbes for the
first time, Forbes first display a "Thought of the day" before redirecting
to the page you are requesting. I did some modifications in my version; For
instance, I display several quotes (Quote Ratator). You can find Quote me
at https://github.com/quincykwende/quote-me. Also, I just submitted Quote
me for review.

For the Form / Survey Plugin, here is a summary of my User Requirements:

   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to manage forms / surveys (add,
   edit, delete).
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to set a variety of question
   types / form item; Multiple choice with check boxes, Multiple choice with
   radio button, Multiple choice to select from a drop down, Multiple choice
   for multiple select from a drop down, Single and multiple file upload,
   Regular questions with input field and or text-area for answers
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to easily add question types and
   do basic theming on the forms (use jQuery to add new form item). (Similar
   to Google Forms)
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to place form any where on their
   site, For instance on a page, post
   - Users would be able to invite their contacts, colleagues and or
   friends to participate in surveys.
   - Users would be able to share their forms / surveys via Google+,
   Facebook, Twitter etc.
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able view basic reporting / analytics
   of surveys (system shall display statistics and analysis using
   Highercharts; http://www.highcharts.com/ )

I would be glad, if I can get advice and more ideas on the above project in
order to have an awesome plugin.

--
Quincy Kwende
Co-founder at Wasamundi <http://wasamundi.com>