[wp-hackers] Multiple versions of same install independently running on same server

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Sun Mar 11 19:06:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 16:54, Hydrostarr <
lists.automattic.com--wp-hackers at hydrostarr.com> wrote:

> Nothing's worked thus far.  Every time attempted there's some
> interdependency between install dirs, databases, Apache config.  WP just
> doesn't "work relative to a root" like most all other web-server apps
> that's we've employed previously.

Please search for many long and often heated discussions about this subject
in the mailing list archives
http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/

Executive summary - agree or disagree, it isn't going to change anytime
soon.

> Ubuntu 11.04.
> Stock WP install with 'apt-get install wordpress' (maybe the latter is
> a/the problem)?

Don't do that! It looks like it will install WordPress 2.9.2 which is very,
very, old. Just download WordPress as normal (http://wordpress.org/download/)
and install it in as many vhost document roots as you like.

I have more than 200 WordPress install across my three servers (including
local dev server) all using Apache vhosts, most have separate installs and
databases, a few are multisite with from 3 to 50 subsites.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/