[wp-hackers] Why no automatic database upgrade?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Jul 26 08:21:13 UTC 2012

On 26 July 2012 18:08, David Anderson <david at wordshell.net> wrote:
> This then leads to the obvious question - why doesn't WordPress itself do
> this automatically and not bother the user? I can save the user a click or
> command - but is there some design reason why this is already an extra step?
> Would I be in danger of optimising out a step that should not be optimised?

It is actually done automatically for hte majority of users when they
use the built in Core Upgrader, It's only those who are using SVN or
manually updating who ever see the screen.

There have been plans to skip the screen all together.. it's just a
reasonably low priority change since it doesn't affect most users.
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7965

However, In a position where WordPress is being used on the command
line, performing the changes automatically might not be ideal -
Although most changes are fast and are simply adding indexes or
capabilities to roles, these upgrade routines in the past have been
more intensive, and the task being run twice at the same time could
*theoretically* cause problems.. but I honestly don't see that being a
problem any time soon (But it could be).