[wp-hackers] How to familiarize with Code Base ?

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Thu Feb 9 17:48:14 UTC 2012

If you want to just look at a straight code tree, you can always browse
the trac repo here:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/3.3.1

I'm sure you realize that WordPress is a huge project. It has been
evolving over most of a decade now and many people have put many many
hours of development into it.  Back when WordPress was first released, a
person stood a fairly good chance of knowing and understanding the whole
code base.  Now, if you don't live in the WordPress Core everyday, it's
not a realistic goal for the typical person.

I'd recommend that you pick a specific area to study.  For example, you
could familiarize yourself with WordPress's filters or actions.  Here
are some suggestions:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags
http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference
http://codex.wordpress.org/Options_API
MORE READING: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_API's

If you want something more in depth,  you could trace through the code
for displaying the home page or the general options page.  Those alone
are a very interesting topics.   So start somewhere smaller than the
whole code base. Once you understand that topic, move onto a related
area of code.

Oh and the HitchHacker's Guide has some useful tools for looking up
specific functions you come across along the way:
http://lookup.hitchhackerguide.com/*
http://hitchhackerguide.com/function-filter-action-index/

Hope that helps!

Brian Layman