[wp-hackers] Access to update plugin & giving credit to original author

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Sep 24 16:42:40 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Paul Menard <paul at codehooligans.com> wrote:
> Really? Just a week?

I'd give them two weeks to a month or so before switching a plugin to
a new author. And the person wanting to take over the plugin should be
actively improving it and blogging about it as well, showing that they
have an interest in maintaining the project. A one-time update isn't
enough to change a plugin to a new author.

> I would like to see some method via the repo admin interface where a plugin author could relinquish control of a plugin.

This exists already. Just go to the Admin section of the plugin, add
the new person as a committer (using their wp.org username), and
optionally remove yourself as a committer to the plugin.

> Of course I would also like to see a filter on the search such that I can show only current plugins and not include all the older plugin that have not been updated for years and are not compatible with the specific version of WordPress I'm working in.

Plugins not updated in 2 years are not listed in search results. This
has been there for a month or two.

-Otto