[wp-hackers] How to make root relative urls work in subdomain

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Mon Oct 31 04:48:24 UTC 2011

Hey Ryann, I would suggest that you always use /css/base.css. Then on your dev and staging site I would use an .htaccess rewrite rule that checks for the project name at the start of the request_uri. If it's not there rewrite the url with it prepended at the start. Since .htaccess files have access to environment variables you could even make it controlled by code in the wp_config.php file so you wouldn't have to create a new custom .htaccess file for every project.

Alternatively you could add a custom rewrite rule in wordpress itself. The wordpress rewrite api http://codex.wordpress.org/Rewrite_API is fully capable of handling this scenario as well, though performance would be faster in mod_rewrite (.htaccess). This api is how wordpress maps urls like /year/month/day to the correct file, as you probably already know there is no actual file for such a url. Considering this is the premise for 90% of the urls processed by the core it is still suitable for your situation. And for dev environments the performance loss is probably not noticeable.

That way when you switch to production everything will work without the specialized rules and you will have zero performance loss along with zero refactoring costs.

Hope that helps, if you have questions about specifics just ask!

-marcus pope
(sent from my iphone)