[wp-hackers] Configuring WordPress Environment / Server

Ryann Micua ryannmicua at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 03:48:07 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff,

Have you looked into doing like a semi-symlinked install? symlink
wordpress core files/directories (wp-includes, wp-admin) but have
wp-content separate for each client. What I did was to setup one
"master" site from which to symlink the needed files/directories to.

For plugins, I have a set of common plugins in the "master" site then
create a symlink from each needed plugin to the plugin directory in each
client site. Client specific plugins are of course added here too. This
setup allows me to have different sets of plugins for each client while
still running wp core on one install. Remember wp-content directory on
the client site is not a symlink. Only the common individual plugins are.

But, please note, I'm only doing this in my development server. For
production sites, I still have them running on separate installs.

Would love to hear how this goes for production setups (6 months from
now) if you do decide to go with my suggestion.

--
*Ryann Micua*
/Web Developer/