[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:26:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Christopher Ross <cross at thisismyurl.com>wrote:

>  .... the position of the SEO friendly text in a permalink doesn't matter
> and the least number of SQL calls are generated by putting the ID first.

Unfortunately, the best performance isn't always matched with
user-friendliness. The best URL's are URL's that are relevant and that
people can remember. An URL of
http://example.com/123456789/now-here-comes-the-slug  *might* be search
engine friendly but it sure isn't human friendly.

I recently changed a site that had ID's that are six figures. Search engines
were okay with the ID's but URL shorteners weren't. Dates are fine for blogs
but not everyone uses WordPress as a date-based CMS.

Lynne