[wp-hackers] WordPress Front-End tinyMCE

Scott Kingsley Clark scott at skcdev.com
Thu Jul 7 16:23:06 UTC 2011

> Has anyone tackled this problem before?

Actually, I've got just the thing!

http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/browser/pods/trunk/ui/wp-editor

Andrew Ozz developed this as the new API for TinyMCE which allows for
front / back end forms and much more functionality beyond the current
mess (you already know what I'm talking about). Goodbye the_editor,
hello wp_editor!

We modified the CSS location in the script, so you'll want to pop it
out and update the location to wherever you end up putting it.

To use use the editor, you can do this:

<textarea name="whatever" id="whatever" class="whatever"><?php echo
esc_html($content); ?></textarea>
<?php
global $wp_editor;
$media_bar = false; // set to true to show the media bar
echo $wp_editor->editor($content, 'whatever', $media_bar);
?>