[wp-hackers] Accessing custom post types and taxonomies

Anca Mosoiu anca at anca.tv
Tue Jan 25 23:57:11 UTC 2011

Hello Mike and Bill,

I had a similar issue (aggregating data from multiple sites on a network
and displaying them on a homepage) and the solution we initially tried was
RSS, but this created some really bad performance issues.  When we
displayed a page with about 7 widgets displaying data from Feeds
(within the different departments) it would take over 1 minute to render
the front page.

Performance tuning determined that 58 seconds were being taken up
getting the RSS feed data (which was then cached in a Transient) but
I didn't know how to remedy this problem.

I wound up writing a custom widget that queried the database directly
to retrieve the data from the sub-sites.

I'd love to make it work with RSS, because that provides a huge amount
more flexibility, but I'm not sure how to get past the performance issues.

Cheers,

Anca.

Performance tracking