[wp-hackers] post format types

24/7 24-7 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 15:43:58 UTC 2011

@Nacin: Oh, there is it! Yes, it was meant for the list. I thought i
lost it and posted another (shorter) one (answered by otto above). Sry
for this one: wrong button/link i guess.

Btw: I never wrote that i think i have to choose between Formats and
Custom Types. I just suggested this title for a post(codex entry?) to
make the difference more clear.

@Otto: I already read your article. "You don't have to support them"
is ok for me. My thoughts go more into the direction of the premium
theme people. I know some of you don't like them, but they are one
considerable part of the community too (look at woo > nav menus). I'm
pretty curious what will happen on all those marketplaces and shops.
Will they try to support them all, or ...? I was thinking about it
after stumbling upon this [1] theme via styleboost, which seems to
already have Post Formats (or some custom taxonomies) implemented.

With the audio/chat plugin i just tried to say: Are they really
neccessary, because there exist that many podcast sites? I know i'm
late to the discussion...

Another option i thought that could help determining how many people
use a specific new feature (not only post formats) is the "generator"
meta tag. Why not adding the name of all new post formats that are in
use on a wp installation to "Wordpress {version}" to the meta tag? As
far as i understood this right, it's there to meassure the popularity
of wp. Maybe that could be used instead of "popularity of a plugin",
or the discussion between devs on trac. I don't know how accurate this
would be, but it could bring some "real" numbers to the table.

Just my 2 cents.
-K.

[1] Shelf Theme: http://demo.thethemefoundry.com/shelf/