[wp-hackers] post format types

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Jan 7 03:30:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM, 24/7 <24-7 at gmx.net> wrote:

> > I promised I would write up a blog post explaining our rationale, quite a
> > long time ago, but I never did. I still might, but I haven't seen the
> need
> > to yet. Here's pretty much what I just sent to the wp-testers list for a
> > similar thread:
>
> Please write it & title it "Custom Post *Types* vs. Post *Formats*".
> Subtitle: Post Formats are predefined taxonomies(/post tags).
>
> > Post formats are nothing more than a custom taxonomy with
> > a custom meta box. Every extra bit is to ensure standardization and
> > portability.
>
> So the only real reason for bringing "Post Formats" was that WordPress
> could do that, while so far only Tumblr had it (and is fast growing)?
> Don't get me wrong, but a theme designer already has to care about a
> lot of stuff and create a lot of code for specific parts of wp.
> Bringing 7(?) new "features" is a lot of work too. It's ok so far,
> because it's just a "switch" and "some" new lines to add to the
> themes. But i really hope the list is not growing much longer (what
> did you need "chat" for? posting shortextmessage conversations you had
> with your ex? how often are you posting audio? don't most people link
> youtube music clips, cause no one likes staring at a monitor and ...
> listening..). Please keep it as short as possible and the rest off to
> theme/plugin specific taxonomies or custom post types**. Thanks.

You only sent this to me, but I think you meant for it to go to the list. So
allow me to answer there.

It doesn't have to do with Tumblr; it has to do with tumbloging or
microblogging. Also, most themes are not going to necessarily support
formats. Some themes might be all about formats because they're going to be
designed for the microblogger or lifecaster. Others might leverage a few
formats for specific bits, such as asides and galleries in Twenty Ten. Some
might not have any need for them at all -- take a news or CMS theme for
example.

With regards to post types and formats, if you feel you have to choose
between them, then you're confusing one or both of them. My post was only
going to cover why they're a standard -- a post by Mark Jaquith covers your
request:

http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/post-formats-vs-custom-post-types/

Nacin