[wp-hackers] Making WordPress database independent

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 16:59:20 UTC 2011

On 7 Feb 2011, at 16:49, Piyush Mishra wrote:

> With NoSQL picking up craze, postgre gaining popularity and WordPress moving
> towards being a complete CMS, its a move that we should make.
> Propel might be a good option, may be DAOs.
> But this option is good for progress of the CMS as a whole.
> I bet people will start discovering new areas for improvement within the
> core as they implement database abstraction.

It's not something we are interested in supporting any more that we do at the moment really.

Supporting just mysql out of the box makes it much simpler to test.

Adding <N> other databases to the supported list just multiplies the testing requirements for little gain - most WAMP and LAMP hosts have mysql on them

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5