[wp-hackers] Making WordPress database independent

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Mon Feb 7 16:49:31 UTC 2011

With NoSQL picking up craze, postgre gaining popularity and WordPress moving
towards being a complete CMS, its a move that we should make.
Propel might be a good option, may be DAOs.
But this option is good for progress of the CMS as a whole.
I bet people will start discovering new areas for improvement within the
core as they implement database abstraction.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Brian Layman <wp-hackers at thecodecave.com>wrote:

> On 2/7/2011 9:09 AM, Piyush Mishra wrote:
>
>>  On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Piyush Mishra<me at piyushmishra.com>

>>>  Nacin,
>> Great! but arent the sql queries present all over the files?
>>
>>  You're right, flavors of queries can cause issues, but the queries in the
> core are pretty generic. Supporting both MyISAM and InnoDB helps keeps them
> that way.  I wrote a WordPress abstraction layer for Interbase/Firebird back
> in 2006 just to see how it was done and the only hangup I had was that
> WordPress expects to get record counts returned along side query results and
> Firebird did not do that.  I added an extra function to handle that and was
> on my way.
>
> Plugins are another issue. You will likely have problems with the specific
> purpose plugins where developers just went in and got the job done, ignoring
> the API for whatever reason they had at the time.
>
> In the end, with a vast vast majority of servers having MySQL installed as
> their database engine, the question isn't "Should we depend upon MySQL?",
> but "Does anyone see enough bang for the buck for them to maintain another
> engine for 5+ years?".  Microsoft obviously did and was able to create the
> code to do it. Engines like Firebird are open sourced and would have allowed
> MUCH more sophisticated database handling years earlier. There are still
> queries in MySQL that cause me to beat my head on the table top because they
> were soooo much more easily done in Firebird even a decade ago, but there
> simply isn't an outcry for other DB engines.  What we have works and works
> well.
>
> --
> Brian Layman
> http://eHermitsInc.com