[wp-hackers] Site Address during development

Ryan Bilesky rbilesky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 17:03:57 UTC 2010

I have to disagree with whoever said that instering the domain at runtime
would be "solving a problem that does not exist".  It is a problem, it may
not be one that occurs often but it is a problem.  And may even occur for
regular users of wordpres if they decide to ever change their domain name
for any reason.  Now they could just export their content, import to a new
site, but thats extra work they shouldn't have to do.

It is quite redundant to be storing the domain all those times in the
database and does make more sense IMO to just store the relitive path and
pull the domain value from wp-config.  And look at it this way, even though
it might add a little tiny bit of overhead, it also shrinks the size of the
database (albeit not by much, but that can add up on a large site and doing
so doesn't add that much overhead).

My vote is to use the domain from wp-config.