[wp-hackers] Comments automatically being marked as spam

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Fri May 21 22:11:21 UTC 2010

Jean-Nicolas Kuttler & Otto said:
>>> Yes, actually, I'd kinda sorta bet you are.
>> I think a few thousand weekly downloaders would disagree with you:
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/cookie
> Drop in the bucket. The fact is that virtually nothing works
> on the web without cookies any more.

I'm on Otto's side on this one. Session cookies are a minimum requirement
for many (most all) sites now.

Even whitehouse.gov which is barred by federal law from using cookies is now
seeking
permissions to use session cookies as it is becoming impossible for them to
do anything
of substance on the site without some kind of temporary storage.  Google it
for an intesting read.

wjm wrote:
> Is it possible to use wordpress as a logged in user without the use of
cookies?

All things are possible with software. ;) However, I suspect making it so
would
be a huge project without much benefit unless you plan to do extensive
business
with entities excluded from recording any user data.

-brian layman