[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

Hikari lists at hikarinet.info
Sat Mar 6 03:08:49 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "scribu" <scribu at gmail.com>
To: <wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com>
Sent: Friday, 05 March, 2010 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

| On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
|
| > As long as this has a master off-switch, because there's no way I'd
| > ever implement such a thing on my sites.
| >
| > My users table contains one user: me. It will never contain another.
| >

| There's a word for that: irrational fear.

well, most security issues I see are related to registered users...

I'd really not feel confortable having commentators sharing the same user table I use, with a little database query being enough to
let they do anything they want

| On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Aaron Jorbin <aaron at jorb.in> wrote:
|
| > I'm with Otto on this one.  I think this would be a much better plugin
| > then core material.
| >

| It's very much core material, since it improves the database structure.
|
| However, I do plan to take a stab at it in a plugin, first.

improves in what point?

wp-comments already has a FK to wp-users, only that would be required is to remove user data fields and force a wp-users row to be
created on every new comment, even spam ones...

this change would be very hard to be optional and easily changeable

ATM my wp-comments have 561KB with 491 comments, wp-posts have 9MB with 281 posts, and wp-users have 4KB with me

if 150 of those comments would generate 4KB in wp-users, it would be 150 users that I can't delete and that will never come back,
bloating it with 600KB, exactally the size of wp-comments today

how much would wp-comments shrink with the change? 80KB?

Hikari -  A Luz ilumina a PAZ
http://Hikari.ws
http://ConscienciaPlanetaria.com

Tenha seu próprio email meunome @ ConscienciaPlanetaria.com.br!: http://seunome.ConscienciaPlanetaria.com.br