[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

Brian Layman Bulk at thecodecave.com
Fri Mar 5 23:30:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 Scribe wrote :
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>> My users table contains one user: me. It will never contain another.
> There's a word for that: irrational fear.

There were valid reasons for a long time for this view point, and really,
for a blog, you never needed more than one user if the contact info was in
separate fields in a comment table.  It wasn't worth the security risks.

It used to be that everyone wanted users then we went for a couple years
with no-one wanting users. I suspect we are on the swing back now. With the
trends for linked social communities being what they are and with remembered
social app auth needs, the desire for registered users is going to go up. If
we are changing the definition and you consider all commenters as users,
most blogs already have dozens to thousands.

-brian layman