[wp-hackers] alternative taxonomy to relate users to pages

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Feb 10 16:38:39 UTC 2010

> @Mike: How would you propose that this would be part of the taxanomies?

Probably by adding an optional subject_id to wp_term_relationships and possibly an optional subject_type and optional object_type to wp_terms.

> I'm all for adding this to the core, but perhaps it would be better if
> we build it using a plugin first so we can test it and easily work out
> the kinks.

Yes, adding to a plugin first makes great sense.  Point of note I wasn't proposing an update to core at first just that this functionality be tied to the existing taxonomy system rather than create what would instead be a second taxonomy system.

> Btw if any of you have any hints or tips for how to offer this as patch
> for WP core, please let us know since my personal experience in getting
> patches noticed (let alone accepted) is not that good and therefore I'm
> a bit hesitant in investing time in something that might be never
> noticed nor discussed.

I have had exactly the same experience.

-Mike