[wp-hackers] Plugin dependency checking

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:12:11 GMT 2009

On 6/17/09, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
>> For now, I'd just like to say that having to call a remote registry
>> for each plugin, on each page load, by default, is a *very* bad idea.
>
> Agreed. But I was not proposing that. I was only proposing a call to a
> registry once upon plugin activation.
>
> One call to a web service with a list of of plugins on activation that
> returns a list of registered interfaces is certainly not a legitimate
> performance concern for clients or for the server, right?

Sorry, didn't catch the part about "once upon plugin activation".

About option nr. 3, I don't see the real benefit of explicitly
defining the interface.

I can already envision me defining an explicit interface, then I
update the plugin and subsequently forget to update the interface.

Also, we shouldn't put our hopes up for interfaces.wordpress.org.

--
http://scribu.net