[wp-hackers] can url auto-completing in wordpress by turned off somehow?

Davit Barbakadze jayarjo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:56:59 UTC 2009

Thank you Jeremy.

You are right. However I do not see any other way to accomplish what I need.
Shortening in wp way may cause redirection to wrong post (when two long
title posts have the same prefix), may they?

I'm not sure whether I want to turn of canonical urls completely. I just
want the post or page to show up only if slug is present completely, I still
want to keep all other redirections. Investigating the problem I came to an
idea of "fixing" the query. I'm not yet sure if this will work - never've
been so deep in this part of wp.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy at visser.name> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 14:49 +0400, Davit Barbakadze wrote:
> > Today I noticed a strange behavior, which I have not noticed before. If
> > (like: domain.com/a) wordpress doesn't through 404 page, it
> automatically
> > redirects you to the first post with title starting with that letter (in
> our
> > example - with 'a'). Of course it useful in some cases, but in my it's
> not.
> > So... is there anyway to prevent that behavior?
>
> Before you go disabling that behaviour, I would urge you to keep it on.
> One really useful thing it does is redirect you if half the URL is
> chopped off -- i.e. in an e-mail.
>
> http://example.com/2009/01/01/hello- will get successfully redirected to
> http://example.com/2009/01/01/hello-world/
>
> Also, it gives you nice little shortcuts to your blog posts, akin to
> something like TinyURL. If you write a blog post titled "Shepherd's Pie
> With Tripe And Fish Oil", and its permalink is
> http://example.org/2009/01/01/shepherds-pie-with-tripe-and-fish-oil/ you
> can just refer people to http://example.org/shepherds-pie and it will
> redirect.
>
> But if you *really* want to disable that behaviour, you can use this
> plugin:
>
> http://txfx.net/files/wordpress/disable-canonical-redirects.phps
>
> It's a one-liner plugin that just does this:
>
>  remove_filter('template_redirect', 'redirect_canonical');

Davit Barbakadze