[wp-hackers] can url auto-completing in wordpress by turned off somehow?

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Wed Jul 15 11:16:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 14:49 +0400, Davit Barbakadze wrote:
> Today I noticed a strange behavior, which I have not noticed before. If
> (like: domain.com/a) wordpress doesn't through 404 page, it automatically
> redirects you to the first post with title starting with that letter (in our
> example - with 'a'). Of course it useful in some cases, but in my it's not.
> So... is there anyway to prevent that behavior?

Before you go disabling that behaviour, I would urge you to keep it on.
One really useful thing it does is redirect you if half the URL is
chopped off -- i.e. in an e-mail.

http://example.com/2009/01/01/hello- will get successfully redirected to
http://example.com/2009/01/01/hello-world/

Also, it gives you nice little shortcuts to your blog posts, akin to
something like TinyURL. If you write a blog post titled "Shepherd's Pie
With Tripe And Fish Oil", and its permalink is
http://example.org/2009/01/01/shepherds-pie-with-tripe-and-fish-oil/ you
can just refer people to http://example.org/shepherds-pie and it will
redirect.

But if you *really* want to disable that behaviour, you can use this
plugin:

http://txfx.net/files/wordpress/disable-canonical-redirects.phps

It's a one-liner plugin that just does this:

  remove_filter('template_redirect', 'redirect_canonical');