[wp-hackers] distinguish plugin options?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jan 23 01:27:14 GMT 2009

"Stephen Rider" <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
>> Nice idea, but unless it offers a significant gain
> for plugin coders, good luck getting them to do it. :\

The gain would be:

1.) Reduce the chance of conflict with other plugins
2.) Provide more exposure for their plugins.

And if those are not enough, it could be made more automatic than I proposed.  Documentation wouldn't have to be required, just icing.

> I think a better system would be to build into
> WordPress "core" a file that lists all built-in
> options.  It could be a simple text file, or a
> PHP file that does nothing but create a hard-coded
> array, e.g.:

Sounds like maybe I'm envisioning something different than you are trying to achieve. Finding out all options in use by plugins is more interesting than having a list of options in WP-core.  I can easily GREP to find the latter. I'm of course not against having them available and listed as core, but it would be much more interesting if all options used by all plugins were listed and available.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/