[wp-hackers] Maybe a secure-hole

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Oct 9 16:43:36 GMT 2008

The username is not protected information. The password is. Knowing
the username gets you no closer to finding the password, and is not a
security risk at all.

Along the same lines, changing the default "admin" to something else
is also not a security improvement. I generally do change it because I
like using a different login name, but it doesn't help security one
little bit.

Nobody ever hacks a WordPress blog by figuring out the username and password.