[wp-hackers] Plugin Version Increments

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Sat May 3 18:46:27 GMT 2008

> First = complete recode edition or at least huge changes
> Second = new features or whatnot, but not crazy big code wise
> Third = bugfixes

Same with me but I add a 4th level for quick security fixes which should be
updated soon - while level 3 is ment for a bundle of bug fixes which is not
so serious but may be anoying.

I should add that this is a thing you do not need to be too serious about,
but it is just better to change the versions in a stepped way then ending up
with Version 250 because every single fix got its own main version number...

It also helps users to know how much trouble might arise because of
incompatabilities. 2.x changes at WordPress did often break up things (2.2
to 2.3 broke every taggin plugin for example) while 2.2.x and 2.3.x changes
didn't break anything at all (up to my knowledge)