[wp-hackers] Improving Plugin (and Theme) metadata

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Fri Jan 25 09:55:55 GMT 2008

I tried that already, but at least xgettext knows about the syntax of
the language (it is, after all, told about it being PHP).  It happily
skips comments.  I'd expect PoEdit to behave similarly (but maybe it
doesn't -- I haven't tested that).

My second thought was to extract the Plugin Name and Description fields
from the comment header and manually craft a pot (po) snippet that would
be merged with the other strings using the merge option to xgettext.
However, I didn't have time to write the script.  (And it would be UNIX-
centric if I wrote it.)

The "put more burden on the plugin author" approach would be to ask the
authors to duplicate the comments within __() calls inside some never
called code.  Mind you, if the plugin has an admin page, then its name
at least probably already gets translated (sort of by accident, though).

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>