[wp-hackers] New on the list, want to clean up code...

Chris gaarai at gaarai.com
Wed Dec 10 15:05:03 GMT 2008

I fully agree with you Helgi. I much prefer developing for PHP 5 rather
than PHP 4, and I definitely prefer developing for PHP 5 rather than
both PHP 4 and PHP 5. That said, even I agree that it burdens too many
end users of the software if it only supported PHP 5 as there are many,
many hosts that still only offer PHP 4 and many more hosts that only
support PHP 5 if you know how to switch to it or request for it.

Supporting both PHP 4 and PHP 5 is the most reasonable course of action
to take as it 1) drastically reduces the amount of frustration of end
users, 2) removes the need to support people who don't know why their
WordPress install isn't working due to running PHP 4, and 3) makes it
easier for an IT novice to get up and running with WordPress. Sure,
supporting only PHP 5 would make it easier on the developers, but it
would do so at the cost of the end users. I don't think it's a stretch
to assume that the number of end users outweighs the number of
developers (themers and plugin devs included). In the end, everything we
do with WordPress is to make it easier for the end user, and that's the
benchmark by which all such decisions should be weighed.

For Matt's take on the subject, you can check out his On PHP
<http://ma.tt/2007/07/on-php/> essay.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/