[wp-hackers] GPL/WP-compatible icon sets?

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Tue Apr 15 15:04:40 GMT 2008

> Pointers to excellent GPL/LGPL-compat icons?

For GPL Icons check if this ones meet your needs:
http://www.lullabot.com/articles/free_gpl_icons_lullacons_pack_1
http://paularmstrongdesigns.com/projects/ (on the right you'll find the
Gallery 2 Icon Set)

Here is one which is LGPL and therefor should be complient (yes the page is
in german - the download link should be readable for everyone anyway ;-) )
http://www.nddesign.de/news/2007/10/15/NDD_Icon_Set_1_0_-_Free_Icon_Set

You could also check out the list you find under
http://www.maxpower.ca/free-icons/2006/03/05/
(which license applies to which iconset is listed there too)

Maybe you will also want to check the OpenClipart Library (
http://www.openclipart.org/ ) there are plenty of icons in it and they are
all "in the public domain" so there will be no licensing issues at all. They
are available as .svg so you can generate the best fitting size for each of
them. But they are done by very different people and you will have some work
a) finding the right ones and b) putting them together so they all look
alike.

it's going to be narsty trying to find all the CSS references to the images

not if you have them in a seperate directory and have a good editor at hand.
If you didn't and have other images in the same directory maybe an editor
with regexp search would be of great help... notepad++, vim,... as for the
free ones - e (for example) if you want a non free editor (yep why should
one want this? I use e anyway since it is pretty cool anyway ;-) )

You sound like you have them in different files (searching/replacing in one
file wouldn't be much work at all)
If you're using windows try notepad++ which features "search in files"
(don't know about any other free win editor which features this)
If you own dreamweaver (or know someone who does) you can even "search &
replace" in files which would make work even more easy.

If you're working on linux try sed (should be shipped with it anyway) for
automatic replacements or grep to find all of the references
If you're working on mac I am the wrong person to ask - but textmate should
work fine (I regret not being able to use it n windows and have to use "e"
which tries to emulate textmate...)

If you do not want to do this stuff:
Get your icons and simply replace the old files - you do not need to edit
one line of css...

CC and GPL are not complient and there is no way out of that. You should be
able to link them but you shouldn't be able to package them as far as I
understand it. As long as you do not want to host them yourselfe best bet
would be to change the icon set (or your license - where I do not know if
non GPL complient licenses for  WordPress themes for are possible at all...)

Alex