[wp-hackers] GPL/WP-compatible icon sets?

zamoose at gmail.com zamoose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 14:20:25 GMT 2008

On 4/15/08, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> No, mere "aggregation" doesn't mix licenses. These icons are separate
> files in the theme. It's one thing when icons are compiled into object
> code and included with a program, it's wholly another when the files
> are entirely separate, even if they're in the same ZIP file.
>
> If you put the icons in a separate directory of the theme, and stick a
> readme in there with the CC licensing, then you're probably good. The
> GPL doesn't, and cannot, expand to cover artwork when there's a clear
> layer of separation. It's referencing the artwork, not including it.

Otto:
I take your point, but then I'm _distributing_ the theme myself, which
means I'm under the CC-A/SA restrictions the original author licensed
the icons under, thus I can't feasibly claim to be distributing a
GPLv2 theme.

My contributions and alterations are based on GPL and even public
domain sources (as far as code goes), so I'd really love to stick with
the GPL for the whole package.  If I want to distribute the icons,
though, I'm at least thinking it rises to a "poison pill".

I would LOVE for you to show me that I'm wrong (it's going to be
narsty trying to find all the CSS references to the images...)

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/