[wp-hackers] Single sign-on with Wordpress & Mediawiki

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Fri Oct 26 18:17:56 GMT 2007

Yeah that's the biggest problem with LDAP - the code I've seen is all
home-brew... but nothing too complicated (especially if your using something
that is easy to integrate with the shell/OS like either Perl for scripting
or ISAPI for libraries).

That's another benefit of OpenID, IMHO: there are enough free libraries out
there in almost all languages if you'd like to host your own OpenID
authentication server. Plus, OpenID can be invisible with people logging in
to it not even knowing they're using an OpenID implementation in the first
place if you host your own.

On 10/26/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2007, at 10:25, Computer Guru wrote:
>
> > On 10/26/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:
> >>

> >> Depending on the type of community you are serving, you could also
> >> consider doing it *the right way* and use OpenID or LDAP, which both
> >> projects support with the appropriate plugins.
> >>
> >> That's only really viable if you have a closed community, not the
> >> general public, but I thought I'd mention it.
> >>

> > How is that? I know some huge (top 50) sites that run their entire
> > database
> > under an LDAP implementation, open to the public...
>
> That's very cool to know actually.
>
> I was just putting the reserve because it might have been seen as too
> elaborate of a solution for a small to medium site, since it would
> also then involve having to setup an integrated registration
> solution. Not impossible by any means, but I'm just not aware of
> anything automated.
>
> S.

Computer Guru
Director,